Sunday, April 15, 2012

Gatefold Card CAS

Hi all.  It's been busy here with the first term school holidays and Easter but I managed to get this card done during my marathon Easter card making day.

This card is a copy (although not exact) of one in a Print Blocks ad on the back of Scrapbook Creations No. 87.  The card was done by Libby Savaille.  I really loved it when I first saw it so I bought one of the embossing folders to try it out.

Here is my take:
And here is a close up of some of the detail:

Looks hard right?  So not!  It's just some paper piecing and addition of some bling on top of embossing!  A card like this could really make a great wedding invite.  It's quick and easy but very effective.

Thanks for looking today!



Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Alcohol Ink Monoprint Technique

First, I just have to say I have the BEST husband.  He has taken my Tim Holtz addiction on board and purchased me both Compendiums (both autographed too) along with the funniest email to Tim to get them for me for our 15th Wedding Anniversary.  It just goes to show that he does pay attention each time I squeal at a new technique or product!

These cards were made using one of the techniques from the first Compendium called Alcohol Ink Monoprint.  Essentially, you put a few different colours of alcohol ink on your craft mat along with some Metallic Fixative and blending solution, swipe your glossy card stock through and voila!  So easy yet it makes a fabulous background.  Using the same inks, you get some very different results as can be seen here:
Yes, the exact same colour inks were used to make these backgrounds - just in different concentrations.  So now what?  Well, this is what I did with these two.
This card was stamped with a combination of Bo Bunny Gabrielle stamps and Stampin' Up sentiment.  You have to use a dye based ink pad like Memories or Archival Ink on top of the alcohol inks.  It will dry on it's own but I am always in a hurry so I use a heat tool.

These stamps are from Gina K. Designs and I created the scene by stamping the horse first, masking it and then stamping the trees and fence.  The colours of this background just really suited the theme.

Talk about easy cards!  Just a bit of swiping and stamping and you have a stunning finished product!  I was having so much fun though, I created one more.  I have the same problem with my alcohol inks as I do with my Distress Ink - similar colours.  I will need to make sure I get some colours outside of my usual palette next time.  Here is the last card:
This is a Gina K. Designs stamp set too.  I stamped the image onto silver card stock and added the sentiment before punching it out and adhering it with foam tape.  I added some KaiserCraft pearls to the flower centres and used my Distress Stains to colour some Tim Holtz trimmings to match.  Again, simple card but effective!

Thanks for looking and I will be bringing you a more constructed card soon!



Monday, April 9, 2012

A Card from Day 10 Technique

So, I was given the day to craft today. I made 6 cards in total with three being made from Tim's first Compendium that Drew gave me for our wedding anniversary. The one I want to share first is using the same background I made for Day 10 of the Creative Chemistry class.

This is very different from my normal card and I'm still deciding if I like it. Please let me know what you think.

Right. The circle embellishment is a few different things. I used the base tray to die cut the butterfly from the middle of a chipboard circle. I had created an alcohol ink background on acetate before hand which I adhered behind the circle. Then I filled the cavity with Glossy Accents. I inked the chipboard after the Glossy Accents dried and added a coating of Diamond Stickles. It's hard to see but you can see through the butterfly to the background.

I embossed the Core'dination Distress card stock with a Tim Holtz folder and sanded it. I inked the Day 10 panel with Vintage Photo. Then I wrapped a key with twine and attached another small sentiment with jump rings to the twine. I used Glossy accents to attach the key and the chipboard circle. I added the ribbon and glued the whole thing to the card stock.

Thanks for having a look! Don't forget to let me know what you think and I'd love for you to share this with others you think might be interested.


- Kim