Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Compendium of Curiosities Finale: A birthday Card for Tim

What a perfect way to end this series of challenges by Linda Ledbetter over at Studio L3.  Although I have not had the opportunity to participate in many of the challenges this year, I have been following along and watching the fabulous work submitted by the participants.

I chose the Dabber Resist technique on page 37 of the Compendium of Curiosities Vol 1.  It was one of the first videos I watched by Tim - I still laugh at the fact that he is using Shell Pink as the colour for his resist!  I chose to use Snow Cap for mine and the ubiquitious Umbrella Man which I adore.

I chose not to add an obvious birthday reference on the outside but instead included a personal message inside.


My favourite bit of the card is the sentiment.  I tried something different, altered it, scrunched it and in the end was very happy!  The sentiment is from the Lost and Found set and says "Not all who wander are lost".  I stamped it in Versamark and then embossed it with silver.  As it is a mostly solid stamp, the words didn't show up to well but I thought "I wonder if?!"  So I rubbed black acrylic paint over the entire surface.  It made the sentiment look more grungy and metal like look.  It also made the words come up out of the embossing!

I can't say a big enough thank you to Linda for running these challenges this year and of course to Tim Holtz who revitalised my love of craft and ink with his unique take on all things artful.  Here's to a fabulous birthday Mr. Holtz and another year of fantastic inspiration!

**UPDATE:  I forgot to show you the inside!  It's manila cardstock with walnut stain Distress Ink and some corner stamps!  TFL.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, Kim! Your work with the Dabber Resist technique is gorgeous, and you've created a work of art that's a PERFECT tribute to Tim! The sentiment looks AWESOME!!! Thanks so much for joining the challenge!

    xo,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umbrella man is my fave! Your card is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Kim! I also love your metallic-look sentiment! I was wondering how you did that. Thanks for including the steps! Also, thank you so much for the kind words you left on my blog. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree, the sentiment strip came out great. This is a wonderful card. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great... love the stamping (dabber resist), and that sentiment and umbrella man is perfect for Tim, I like your color palette too !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card - I love it that you carried on experimenting with the label

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, Love how you used the dabber resist for Tim's birthday card. The umbrella man is one of my favorites and everything about this card is screaming "COOL." Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your card...unbrella man is the best! Fab card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card Kim. I always have problems with the "wander" stamp so I will try your method out next time I want to use it!
    Thanks for your visit and kind comment. Placing card in the bottom of the spray box brings some fabulous results, though it is tricky to try and replicate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! I really appreciate the kind words and your visit.

      Delete
  10. absolutely brilliant card!! fabulous details!! i love the sentiment strip!! =)
    hugs, SannaS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanna! And thanks for visiting :)

      Delete