Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Diet Be Damned!

Ohhhhhhh,  COOOKIEESSS!....I don't know why exactly but I was looking for cookie recipes last night.  I think I was seeing it as an activity that I could do with Spidermonkey while Cappuchin was asleep.  That was a big NOPE!  I did this by myself :0)

Anyhoo, I found these people last night, White on Rice Couple, and I couldn't wait to try their pizzookie recipe in about 4 different ways!  We tried this one tonight - Deep Dish Snickerdoodle A La Mode. Sorry for all you non-Americans reading this - the recipe does not include a Snickers Bar.   I served it with Connoisseurs Caramel Honey Macadamia Nut Ice cream (insert Homer Simpson drool moment here).  OMG, orgasmic!!  I also want to do the Choc Chunk Pizzookie - that's right you heard me, CHOC CHUNK!  I reckon a peanut butter with choc chips would be nice too.  Maybe even a macadamia nut shortbread...(excuse me while I wipe the saliva off my chin)!  Diet, what diet?!  I can handle sore joints for this!!!

I have had Snickerdoodles before (both my fabulous cook grandmothers have made them) but I have never attempted the recipe.  I have to say this recipe for Snickerdoodles was really easy and I would definitely recommend using the weights rather than the measurement units.  Again, thanks to the White On Rice Couple for the below: 

Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe

Ingredients
150 g (3/4 c) granulated Sugar
150 g (1 c) Golden Brown Sugar
100 g (1/2 c) unsalted Butter (room temp.)
50 g (1/4 c) Lard or Shortening (room temp.)
2 lrg. Eggs
10 ml (2 t) Vanilla Extract
1/4 t Sea Salt
300 g (2 1/4 c) unbleached, all-purpose Flour
10 g (2 t) Cream of Tartar
5 g (1 t) Baking Soda
15 g (1 T) Cornstarch (2 tsp Arrowroot)
@ 100 g (1/2 c) Cinnamon Sugar mix (1 part cinnamon, 3 parts sugar ratio)

Pre-heat oven to 350° F (175 C) -  (325° F (162 C) convection bake)

1. Combine sugars, butter and lard in a mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla extract, and salt and mix until fully incorporated.
2. Sift flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and cornstarch together and gently mix into butter mixture.
Freezing Option: roll dough into a log and wrap in plastic wrap.  Freeze. When ready to use, thaw for about 1 hr, then continue with recipe.
3. Put cinnamon sugar mix into a bowl. Gently form dough into a small ball (about the size of a walnut) then roll in cinnamon sugar mix. Place balls on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.  Make sure to give plenty of room between cookies since they spread quite a bit.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes.  They should be lightly golden. Remember it is better to slightly under-bake than to over-bake cookies.
Deep Dish Version:

You will need ramekins for this part.  Either 3 or 4 inch depth.

1. Grab enough dough to fill your ramekins approx. 1/2″ deep. Make a disc out of dough, then toss in cinnamon sugar mix.
2. Put dough in to ramekins, then bake for approx. 12-15 min., depending on the size of your ramekins and how deep you filled them. Bake until they are light golden brown.
3. Remove from oven, allow to cool for @ 5 min., then top with ice cream 

So, damn the consequences!  I order you to go and try this idea with your favourite cookie recipe...

Go on....


What are you still doing here....


Shoo - I said go!  The blog is over!



=D

No comments:

Post a Comment