Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Surprise Trip to Sydney

So, on Wednesday last week, Spider Monkey commented that he would like to go back to the dinosaur museum.  Now, I think the dino museum here is good for the community that it serves but we have been there, oh - about 5 times.  It doesn't change but Spider Monkey does.  He is older each time and takes a little longer to go through - reading and learning more each time.  But I thought, let's see something new!

I sent DH a message to see what he thought and next thing I know, we are off to Sydney on Friday to go to the Australian Museum.  Considering we had a toddler and we were only staying for the day, I was impressed we got through as much as we did.  We saw the skeletons, the Under 5's area, the Sea Shore exhibit, the Ancient Australian section and the dinosaurs.  We even made it through the special exhibit - Birds of Paradise.  By this point, the toddler was cranky and we were all hungry.  So, off to get food we went.

After a fabulous lunch at Spirolo on Riley Street (highly recommend this place! So yummy!), we thought we should make a move to head home.  It was 3:15 and we thought we would avoid some traffic.  Boy was I wrong!  It took us more than an hour to get to the toll booth on the M5 (what should have been 15 - 20 min).  We knew there would be snow traffic (people headed off to the snow fields for the weekend) but come on!  Then we hit another snag with a large accident on the Hume - it was on the other side of the highway but everyone on our side had to slow down to look.  So our max 3 hour drive took us over 4.

Finally, we arrived home and let the ferals out of the car.  They both had a run around to let out some pent of energy and then off to bed they went.  I managed about another hour before I gave up and went to bed and DH made it another hour.  It was fun but I have to say that no dinosaur exhibition that I have seen to date beats the Sternberg Museum in Hays, KS.  I look forward to taking the kids back there when we are finally able to visit again!

Here are a few of the photos we took along the way:












Tomorrow, I should have some more crafty stuff to show you!  DH has promised to look after the boys while I spend some time in my craft space.  I will try to make them...From My Own Brain :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment